"The simulation technology was very beneficial in boosting my confidence, helping me get clinically prepared and offering me the clinical experiences I wish to see."
Jezzreel Phillips, RN, BS
Graduate of SUNY Orange Nursing Program
Simulated Clinical Experience (SCE)
SUNY Orange Nursing Program provides students each semester with reality based simulated patient care experiences. This state of the art technology insures that all students have the opportunity to "think and act like a professional nurse" in a risk free environment.
- Increases confidence in psychomotor skills and patient interactions
- Improves clinical problem solving and decision making skills
- Facilitates application of theory to clinical practice
- Provides a safe, supportive educational environment
- Increases patient care safety and risk management
- Encourages inter-professional teamwork and collaboration
- Incorporates opportunities for use of patient care technologies and client information systems
Simulation was established at SUNY Orange in 2004, with the purchase of one "sim man" simulator. It has grown to a family of more than 12 high fidelity simulators with a staff of five.
The sim labs are located on both the Middletown and Newburgh campuses Simulation scenarios were fully integrated into the entire nursing curriculum in 2010. All nursing students at the college receive simulation each semester.
Student feedback regarding clinical simulation experiences:
- "I absolutely understand and used my assessment skills in sim. I loved it."
- "It was an experience that helped me understand what can happen in a real life situation. I think sim is a beneficial part of the program."
- "The simulations really did help me think more critically and look at every aspect when caring for a patient."
For more information, please contact Sim Coordinator Jean Halpern at (845) 341-9036. For donations, please contact the SUNY Orange Foundation.
Faculty/staff contact information
Jean Halpern RN, MS - Coordinator
David Jiang - Sim Specialist
Suzanne Montgomery - Sim Lab Tech
Faculty: Pat Cal RN, MS; Suzanne Lindau RN, MS