Applying for Graduation
Graduation and participation in the commencement ceremony are not automatic. Students must initiate the process themselves.
A Graduation Application should be submitted by students anticipating completion of ALL program/degree requirements according to the deadlines below. Applying for graduation does not include participation in the Commencement Ceremony, For all Commencement information see the Commencement Checklist.
Application Due Dates:
If you plan to complete requirements at the end of the Fall Semester (December 2016 degree conferral) you can apply October 3rd through December 2nd
If you plan to complete requirements at the end of the Spring Semester (May 2017 degree conferral) you can apply January 30th through April 3rd (students who apply by March 3rd will be considered for potential Departmental Awards)
If you plan to complete requirements at the end of the Summer Semester (August 2017 degree conferral) you can apply May 30th through August 4th
NOTE: If you are an August 2017 potential graduate who will be completing degree requirements at the end of the Summer 2017 semester and who would like to participate in the May 2017 commencement ceremony the deadline to apply is April 3, 2017. (In order to participate in the May 2017 commencement ceremony August graduates must have no more than 6 credits remaining or 2 courses which do not exceed 8 credits left to finish over the Summer 2017 semester)
- A Non-Refundable $55 fee is required at time of application. If you do not meet all requirements the fee will be applied to a future Graduation Application. If you are applying for two degrees you must pay $55 for each Graduation Application. Please note if you do not meet all requirements in the term which you applied you must re-apply by filling out a new graduation application.
- All outstanding obligations to SUNY Orange (tuition, fees, books, etc.) must be satisfied before your diploma or certificate will be released.
- If you are anticipating receiving transfer credits in order to complete graduation requirements at SUNY Orange you must have completed a “Permission to Attend” form which gets approved by the Registrar and indicates SUNY Orange will accept the course(s) in transfer. All official transcripts need to be received by the Registrar’s Office no later than 7 business days prior to the graduation date.
- An overall cumulative 2.00 GPA is required for all degrees and for an A.A.S degree a 2.00 GPA in major courses either cumulative or in each course is required in addition to the overall 2.00 GPA requirement.
- Mailing of Diplomas: All diplomas will be mailed to the address that was provided on the Graduation Application. Please notify the Registrar’s Office at email@example.com if you have had a change of address.
- May Diplomas will be mailed out by mid June
- August Diplomas will be mailed out by mid September
- December Diplomas will be mailed out at the end of January
- Request for Duplicate Diploma: If at any time your diploma is lost or damaged you can order a duplicate diploma. Please note the duplicate diploma will say duplicate on it and will be ordered with the same name as your original diploma.
Please note: Applying for graduation initiates review and conferral of degrees only. You will be receiving commencement information from the Office of the Vice President for Student Services. These letters are stamped “Important Graduation Information”. Save these letters as they contain important information you need concerning the Commencement Exercises. You can see all information about the Graduation ceremony at the Commencement Information Checklist webpage.
- How to Register for Classes
- Get Your Grades
- Get Your Transcript
- Registrar FAQ
- Academic Calendar
- Registration Calendar
- College Catalog >
- Course Schedules >
- Final Exam Schedule
- Academic Policy
- Applying for Graduation
- Certifications of Enrollment/Attendance
- Certifications of Full-Time/Part-Time Status
- Distance Education/Online Learning
- Transfer Credit Evaluation
- Degree Works