Prevention and Reporting of Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking
(If you require a more accessible version of any of the documents provided below, please call the Wellness Center at 845-341-4870.)
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, SUNY Orange is committed to sexual assault prevention and provides workshops, prevention information programs, and linkage to direct services and resources in the area.
The Student Handbook contains more detailed information regarding students rights, responsibilities, confidentiality, grievance procedure, and code of student conduct relative to this issue. For more information on the College's Non-discrimination/Title IX policies, please visit our Human Resource's Title IX webpage. Our Title IX Coordinators are Wendy Holmes (845) 341-4662 and Paul Broadie (845) 341-4020.
If you have experienced sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking:
- Get to a safe place as soon as you can.
- Try to preserve all physical evidence; do not bathe, douche, or change your clothes.
- Contact SUNY Orange Department of Safety and Security:
- Middletown - dial 77 from a campus phone or call 341-4710
- Newburgh - dial 9533 from a campus phone or call 341-9533
- You may also use one of the Blue Light emergency phones,
or any of the red or yellow phones located throughout both campuses.
You may seek advice and support services from the SUNY Orange Sexual Assault Response Team (SART). The team can be contacted through Security at 341- 4710, or the Wellness Center at 341- 4870. Members of the SART team will assist sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking victims and can provide referral to county resources and support. Survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking are encouraged to use these services, regardless of whether the incident happened on or off campus.
Sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking are crimes; they are not the
victim's fault. Victims have the right to pursue adjudication of crimes
that occur on our campus through criminal courts and/or through the
college's internal disciplinary process (under the Student Code of Conduct). SUNY Orange Safety and Security Department Officers are
trained to assist victims throughout this process.
Where there is probable cause to believe the College's regulations prohibiting sexual misconduct have been violated, the College will pursue strong disciplinary action through its own channels. This discipline includes the possibility of suspension or dismissal from the College. An individual charged with sexual misconduct will be subject to the College disciplinary procedures, whether or not prosecution under New York State Criminal Statutes is pending. The College will make every effort to be responsive and sensitive to the victims of these serious crimes.
- Orange County Rape Crisis Helpline/Rapeline
- 24 hr crisis intervention information and referrals
- provides a specially trained advocate who will meet you at the hospital, and remain with you throughout the examination and reporting procedures.
- In addition,
this program, which is a service of the Mental Health Association in
Orange County, Inc., can provide ongoing counseling and sexual assault
survivor support groups.
- (800) 832-1200
- (845)-346-HELP - Outside of Orange County
- Power in Unity: Peer Support Group for Victims of Sexual Assault
- (845) 342-2400 ext. 267
- In Safe Hands: A Peer Support Group for Youth Survivors of Sexual AssaultIn Safe Hands: A Peer Support Group for Youth Survivors of Sexual Assault
- (800) 832-1200 ext. 224
- Mental Health Association in Orange County, Inc.
- Safe Homes of Orange County
- 24/7 hotline: 1-888-562-5365
- New York State Department of Health Rape Crisis Progam
- New York State Office of Crime Victims
- New York State Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- 24/7 hotline: 1-800-273-TALK
- Mobile Mental Health, 24/7 hotline: 1-888-750-2266
- Emergency Contraception (Planned Parenthood)
- Planned Parenthood of the Mid-Hudson Valley
- Orange County STD and HIV Clinics
Updated January, 2015
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Immunization Requirements
- Accident and Health Insurance
- Our Events
- Mental Health Counseling
- Sexual Assault Prevention and Reporting
- What to do in an Emergency
- Faculty and Staff Guidebook