Safety and Security
Campus Safety Tips
IMPORTANT Telephone Numbers
|SUNY Orange Safety and Security - Middletown Campus||341-4710|
|Middletown Police Department||343-3151|
|Middletown Fire Department||343-4000|
|Wellness Center - Middletown Campus||341-4870|
|Mobile Life Ambulance - Middletown Campus||343-1212|
|SUNY Orange Safety and Security - Newburgh Campus||341-9533|
|Newburgh Police Department||561-3131|
|Newburgh Fire Department||562-1212|
|Mobile Life Ambulance - Newburgh Campus||562-4357|
The following safety/security suggestions are simply intended to:
- Help you remain safe by avoiding unsafe situations
- Help you prevent loss of personal property by following a few helpful hints.
These suggestions should be utilized not only on campus but in the community at large.
- Don't leave valuables exposed in the passenger compartment of your auto.
- Place all valuables in your trunk or glove compartment prior to arrival at parking lot.
- Park in well lighted areas and as near as possible to the building you'll be entering.
- Try to arrive and leave at times the lot is most populated.
- Park near other autos. Try not to leave your auto in a remote or obscure location.
- Carry a small flashlight on your person.
- Have your keys ready before you approach your car.
- Try to travel to and from a parking lot with known friends or acquaintances. For Security Escorts dial "77."
- Check the passenger compartment (use flashlight) before entering the car.
- Lock all doors after entering.
- If you MUST stay behind, ask a friend to remain with you.
- Become familiar with fire extinguisher locations and emergency exits.
- Never divulge the combinations to lockers or other secured areas to anyone.
- Never divulge Personal Identification entry codes to computers or to ATM's to anyone.
- Safeguard those expensive textbooks - put your initials inside on a favorite page number for identification.
- Never attach your name/address to your keys.
- If you lose your keys, change the lock cylinders at your residence.
- Keep a list (at home) of all credit card numbers.
- In case of loss/theft have a list (at home) of telephone numbers to:
- Cancel Credit Cards
- Notify Banks to Stop Checks
- Secure book bags and pocketbooks - need a lock for your desks? - call extension 4934!
When Traveling at Night:
- Let friends/family know of your intended route to/from the location
- Travel on busy roads, if possible.
- Travel on roads with night time services (gas stations, telephones, etc.)
- Let friends/family know of the approximate time of your return.
- If broken down on road, notify the local police.
- Deal only with UNIFORMED police traveling in MARKED cars.
- Do not get into an auto with a stranger. If accosted, remember description and auto registration plate number.
- If cars stop to assist, ask them to notify the police for you. Remain in your locked auto.
- Do not enter houses in the area, ask them to notify the police to assist you - give them your location. Return to your auto and remain until help arrives.
At Public Places: (schools, shopping malls, movie theaters, sports arenas, etc.)
- Keep your valuables within reach and always in sight.
- If going to a restroom, take your valuables with you (purses, pocket calculators, expensive pens, jewelry, etc.).
- Try to choose restrooms located near frequently traveled areas of the building.
- Travel the halls and stairways with others if possible.
- Try to always leave the building with the main group.
Fire Safety: R.A.C.E
R - Rescue: Remove any in immediate danger.
A - Alarm: Sound the alarm (call x77).
C - Confine: Confine the fire by closing doors.
E - Evacuate: Area
- Parking Maps & Regulations
- Promoting Safety
- Safety and Security Resources
- Crime Statistics
- Emergency Management Plan
- Campus Safety Report
- Sexual Assault Prevention and Reporting >
EMERGENCY: Ext. 77
1st Floor of Tower Building
Director of Safety and Security
Security Coordinator - Newburgh Campus
1st Floor Tower Building