SUNY ORANGE TO INSTALL NEWBURGH COURTHOUSE BELL DISPLAY IN KAPLAN HALL

6/16/2014

Bell and Display Stand to be Unveiled July 7 During Ceremony at SUNY Orange’s Newburgh Campus

PHOTO: Newburgh BellNEWBURGH, N.Y. – SUNY Orange will unveil the refurbished historic Newburgh Courthouse Bell in its new permanent display location inside Kaplan Hall on the College’s Newburgh campus during an installation ceremony planned for 10 a.m., Monday, July 7.

The bell, forged in 1842 and weighing nearly 500 pounds, resided in the steeple of the Newburgh Courthouse for more than a century until it was removed because of safety concerns sometime in the 1970s and placed in storage at the Orange County Historian’s Office in Goshen. It’s new home will be a display area in the Grand Street lobby of Kaplan Hall, where it will be visible to visitors of the building as well as passersby on Grand Street.

Local artist and sculptor Stuart Sachs refurbished the bell and has built a display apparatus that will support the full weight of the bell while also allowing it be rung by hand, much as it would have been during its many years atop to cupola of the Newburgh Courthouse, situated along Grand Street just a block away from the College’s Newburgh campus.

Orange County Legislator Leigh Benton was instrumental in facilitating the bell’s return to Newburgh. Support for the project came from the William and Elaine Kaplan Family Private Foundation.

For information on the installation event, contact Marie Hauk at (845) 341-9524.

photo courtesy of Mid-Hudson News web site


» Back to Headlines

Mike Albright
Communications Officer
115 South Street
Middletown, NY 10940
845-341-4728
Email