The Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
- Collects, processes and analyzes biological specimens and other substances.
- Performs analytical tests of body fluids, cells and other substances.
- Recognizes the factors affecting results and takes the appropriate action.
- Applies basic scientific principles in learning new techniques and procedures.
- Relates laboratory findings to common disease procedures.
- Performs preventive and corrective maintenance on equipment and instruments.
Where does the MLT work?
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012-2022 projects Laboratory Technician jobs will be available with a starting salary of approximately $38,000.
Employment of Medical Laboratory Technicians is projected to grow 30% from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations. The U. S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that from 2012 to 2022, a total of 70,000 (an increase of up to 22%) new Medical Technologists and Medical Laboratory Technicians will be needed each year to meet the demand for laboratory services as the population of the U.S. ages. Wages are expected to rise due to the laboratory personnel shortage.