(If you require a more accessible version of the application form above, please contact Maynard Schmidt at 845-341-4030).
The Honors Program is open to both full and part-time matriculated students. Applicants who are first-time SUNY Orange students or transfers must follow the regular college admissions process by first submitting an application for admission. Please follow the Honors Application checklist below:
- must take the required College Placement Assessment in English and math and place into Freshman English I. Those who have taken and passed a college-level English class may obtain an Assessment Waiver. Information is available here.
- Complete an Honors Application
- provide two letters of recommendation from faculty, counselors, administrators or mentors.
Additional Honors Admission Requirements:
- First time college students: must be graduates of a high school program with at least one of the following:
- high school average of 90% at the end of junior year;
- class rank in the top 10% of the class;
- combined SAT score of 1200 (math + verbal) or 1800 (3 parts);
- ACT score of 27.
- Home schooled students and GED holders are welcome to apply to the program. Interested parties should discuss specifics with the Honors Program Coordinator and Admissions to discuss eligibility.
- High school seniors with accumulated college credits:
- Between 1 and 11.5 credits must meet the requirements for first time college students and have attained a cumulative average of 3.5 for completed college courses.
- Twelve or more credits must meet transfer student requirements.
- Transfer Students: with 12 or more credits must have a GPA of 3.5 and provide a two to five page typed essay to be evaluated as part of the application.
NOTE: Honors courses taken at other colleges will be accepted toward the SUNY Orange Honors Program, where appropriate, following current transfer course guidelines.
Students may meet an Honors English course requirement with courses previously taken at another college, with a grade of "A" in an appropriate transfer English course or a grade of 4 in Advanced Placement English from high school. Students seeking AP credit must also submit the essay component of the exam for evaluation; however, the Honors Program required credits must be made up with other Honors courses, in consultation with the program Coordinator.
Current SUNY Orange Students: including 24 Credit Hour, must have a 3.5 GPA and provide an essay to be evaluated as part of the application.
NOTE: If students have achieved an "A" in SUNY Orange's Freshman English I and/or II, the above noted essay and the Honors English I and/or II requirement will be satisfied. Still, the three or six Honors credits must be made up with other Honors courses, in consultation with the Program Coordinator
***HONORS PROGRAM APPLICATION***