Federal Financial Aid Programs

PLEASE NOTE: All students must make academic progress in order to receive Federal Aid. Academic standings are reviewed at the end of the Spring Semester. Please refer to the SUNY Orange catalog to view the Federal Standards of Progress Eligibility Chart.

External links below are marked with this symbol . Clicking on these links will take you out of the SUNY Orange Web site. The college cannot be responsible for the content on these pages, although the links on this page have been reviewed and are recommended by the staff of the Office of Financial Aid.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant provides grants ranging from $298 to $5,645 a year to all eligible applicants for the 2013-2014 aid year.  The Maximum EFC for Pell Grant eligibility is 5001.  Students should file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov† after January 1.  Be sure to enter our school code for the FAFSA: 002876. Approximately 5 -10 work days after filing, the Financial Aid Office will receive the FAFSA information electronically in the form of an Institutional Student Information Report (ISIR) which will be used to determine eligibility for all Federal Aid.

The student must be enrolled at the time the ISIR is received at the Office of Financial Aid in order for payment to be made to the student.  Even though the student may file the FAFSA after the semester has started, a payment cannot be made if the student ceases to be enrolled. If you apply for a change of marital status (student only) our deadline date is the first day of classes. Your request for review, must be submitted before the first day of classes in order for a determination to be made. The FAFSA is available on line at www.fafsa.ed.gov†.  There is no fee for processing this form.  For students who are required to take developmental courses, Federal Aid funds will only pay for the first 30 attempted credits of developmental study. Students holding a bachelor degree are ineligible for the Federal Pell Grant, but they must file the FAFSA to receive consideration for other aid.

Programs for Dependents of Veterans

New Program for 2009-2010

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 † grants an automatic zero EFC for the Pell Grant Program† ONLY to Pell Grant eligible students whose parent or guardian was a member of the Armed Forces and died in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001. Eligibility guidelines

A student must have been twenty-four years of age or less or enrolled at least part-time at an institution at the time of the parent's death.

Legislators do not believe that this should be an additional question on the FAFSA, † rather the Secretaries of Defense and Veterans Affairs should provide the Secretary of Education with the information necessary to determine which students meet the requirement. Because the question is not on the FAFSA, students will need to notify the Office of Financial Aid concerning their eligibility for this additional benefit.

The Higher Education Opportunity Act's Technical Corrections Bill † was signed it into law on July 1, 2009.

This bill:

  • Sets the "Expected Family Contribution" (EFC) at zero for children of soldiers killed in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11/01, if the student was under 24 years old at the time or enrolled in an institution of higher education at the time, and is Pell-eligible - effective 7/1/09 NOTE: This is a change to the original policy noted at the top of this page
  • Creates the "Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants" - effective July 1, 2010 - for students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11/01, if the student was under 24 years old at the time or enrolled in an institution of higher education at the time. This program is for students who do not qualify for a Federal Pell Grant.

The awards will be: Equal to the maximum Pell Grant available for the award year. Awards will be proportionally reduced for students enrolled on a part-time basis.

These awards will not be counted as "estimated financial assistance" in determining a student's eligibility for other Title IV federal financial aid funds. However, this award and all other aid received cannot exceed the "cost of attendance" at the student's school.


Provision Added to War Funding Bill Covers Cost of College Education for All Surviving Military Children

The final 2009 Supplemental Appropriations bill (H.R. 2346) † which funds U.S. military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, includes a provision to expand GI Bill benefits to children of fallen U.S. soldiers. The provision, authored by Congressman Chet Edwards (D-TX), expands the Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefit † to cover the full cost of a college education for all children of fallen soldiers. The new benefit will be known as the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship † in honor of a fallen soldier with three young children from Edwards' district. President Obama signed the bill into law on June 24, 2009.

Post 9/11 G.I. Bill

Parents can transfer their educational benefits under the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill † to their dependent children.


Federal Perkins Loan

Students who demonstrate exceptional need may be eligible to receive up to $27,500 as an undergraduate ($5,500 maximum per year).  However. loans generally range from $500 to $5,500 a year, at 5% interest with approximately 10 years to repay.

As of 1987/88, new borrowers have nine months after termination of their studies to begin repayment. FAFSA is required.

Perkins Promissory Note

If you accept a Perkins Loan award, you are required to complete a Perkins Promissory Note in the Student Accounts Office every year. You may complete the Perkins Promissory note as early as five days after you accept your Perkins award. You must visit the Student Accounts Office to complete the paper Promissory Note and an Entrance Interview; no earlier than July 1st. Please call 845-341-4911 to make an appointment. You will need to bring copies of your driver’s license and Social Security card for processing.

Your failure to complete the Promissory Note will result in the cancellation of your Perkins loan.

All Campus-Based-Aid programs are subject to the federal government’s allocation to the school. When all the funds are exhausted, awarding and disbursement of this aid program stops.


Federal Supplementary Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

High-need students may be eligible to receive FSEOG grants ranging from $300 to $500 a year. Money for this program is extremely limited. Students who have earned a bachelor's degree are not eligible. FAFSA is required. All Campus-Based-Aid programs are subject to the federal government’s allocation to the school. When all the funds are exhausted, awarding and disbursement of this aid program stops.


Federal College Work-Study (FCWS)

Eligible students may work part-time while in college to help defray their educational cost. Students are paid an hourly rate and receive a paycheck every two weeks for the hours worked.  Students cannot earn more than the amount of their work-study award.  Salary is $8.00 per hour (subject to change) for 10 to 15 hours work per week. All students awarded work-study are placed on the job by the college's Placement Office.  (The College Work-Study Manual provides further information.) FAFSA is required. Work-Study funds are allocated each year by the Federal government. The Financial Aid Office will award work-study to eligible students until the funds for the year are exhausted.


Direct Loans

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan



Direct Loans† are especially designed to meet the student needs with features like low interest rates which are capped, no requirement for a cosigner or other security, choice of repayment plan, and other accommodations.

Lender of Student Loans:

As of July 2010, student loans will be made, not with banks, but with the Federal Government. 

Type of Loans:

There are two kinds of loans: unsubsidized and subsidized both with a 3.86% interest rate, effective July 1, 2013. After the student submits financial information on the FAFSA, the Financial Aid Department determines whether a student is eligible for a subsidized or unsubsidized loan.  The government subsidizes the interest on your subsidized loan while you are in school. You are responsible to pay the interest only on your unsubsidized money while in school.

Limits on Loan Amounts: 

There are yearly maximums on both subsidized and unsubsidized loans which limit the amount you can borrow each year.  Your budget -- estimated living expenses plus the cost of college minus your family’s expected contribution and any other income you may receive-- will determine the amount you are eligible for (not necessarily the maximum). 

150% Direct Subsidized Loan Limit:

As of July 1, 2013 a new legislative law went into effect for any new Direct Stafford Subsidized Loan Borrowers.

What is the new law?

Congress passed a bill "Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act" which has established time limitations on Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans. This new law will be effective for first time borrowers or borrowers who have paid off their laons and are borrowing again as of July 1, 2013.

This law allows you to receive Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans only within 150% of the length of your program of study. Once you have reached the end of this limit you are no longer able to receive Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans. For example: if you are enrolled in a two-year associate degree program, the maximum period for which you can receive Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans is three years (2 x 150% = 3 years).

Listed below are situations that will require you to start accruing interest on your Direct Stafford Subsidized Loan, such as:

1. I am no longer eligible for Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans and I stay enrolled in my current program.

2. I am no longer eligible for Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans, did not graduate from my prior program, and am enrolled in an undergraduate program that is the same length or shorter than my prior program.

3. I transferred into a shorter program and lost eligibility for Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans because I have received Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans for a period that equals or exceed my new, lower maximum eligibility period, which is based on the length of the new program.

In essence, students will no longer be able to receive Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans for more than 150% of the length of your program. Once you reach the length of your program, you may continue to receive Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans.

What Should I do?

  • Keep on track with your academic program of study. If you are unsure that you are taking the appropriate classes you can talk with your Academic Counselor or Advisor in the Counseling Office to ensure that your program of student is accurate with your college. Transfer students will need to be careful no to change majors from you previous college for meeting the new Subsidized loan rule.
  • Contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions or concerns in regards to this new law.
  • For further information view the FACT Sheet from the Federal Government

Direct Loan Service Center:

This is available to you online so you can access your account day and night for information and for making payments.

Loan Repayment:

Initially you might commit to one particular loan-repayment plan out of several options, although later you will be able to choose another method.

Additional Counseling:

NEW!! An online tool to manage your loan debt:


The Financial Awareness Counseling Tool provides students with five interactive tutorials covering topics ranging from managing a budget to avoiding default. 

Students are able to access their individual loan history and receive personalized feedback that can help them better understand their financial obligations.

Consolidation of Loans:

Several student loans can be compiled into one loan with one monthly payment, even if from different colleges. 

Time line for Financial Aid:

  • Before you enter college, you file the FAFSA to apply for financial aid.  After assessing your financial information in the FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office assembles your Award Package, based on your expected income and your anticipated expenses during college.
  • After you have carefully evaluated the Award Package, you can accept it as it is or request changes. 
  • When you graduate, withdraw, or drop below six credit hours, the repayment period will begin immediately at the end of a six-month grace period.




After you file a FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office draws up your projected budget to determine what your need for funds will be and what kind of aid you qualify for.  If you qualify as a "student in financial need", you will be eligible for various

l types of aid.  Based on your need, the Financial Aid Office compiles a list of grants and loans for which you qualify.  Their recommendations will be sent to you in an Award Letter.


The Award Package will include loans as well as other kinds of state and federal aid.

All students are eligible to apply for an Unsubsidized Loan (current interest rate of 6.8%).  Interest on these loans will be charged during your college years; and during the six-month grace period after you graduate, withdraw, or drop below six credits; and also during periods of loan deferment.  You  choose whether to pay interest during college years as it is being charged or to delay payment and simply include it with the rest of the borrowed money to be repaid after leaving school.

Students with financial need are eligible for a Subsidized Loan with a interest rate of 6.8%.  Interest on a Subsidized Loan will not be charged until the student graduates, withdraws, or drops below six credits.  If necessary, a student getting a Subsidized Loan may supplement their loan with an Unsubsidized Loan.

Another type of loan available is the Consolidation Loan with which a student can combine several student loans (even at different colleges) into one loan, repayable with  one monthly payment.


The following table shows the maximum amount of money you may borrow each academic year in Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans:

  Dependent student1 Independent student2
1st-year undergraduate $5,500 --but subsidized maximum $3,500 $9,500--but subsidized maximum $3,500
2nd-year undergraduate $6,500--but subsidized maximum $4,500 $10,500--but subsidized maximum $4,500
  1. Except those whose parents are unable to borrow a PLUS loan. 
  2. These limits apply to dependent students whose parents are unable to borrow a PLUS loan.

Total ‘lifetime’ limits for Direct Unsubsidized and Subsidized Loans are:

  • $31,000 for dependent undergraduate students excluding those whose parents are unable to borrow a PLUS Loan, but no more than $23,000 may be subsidized.
  • $57,500 for independent undergraduate students and dependent undergraduates whose parents are unable to borrow a PLUS loan--but no more than $23,000 may be subsidized.


You should evaluate the award package carefully. Remember: loans must be paid back.

  • Be sure to check whether or not your living expenses will be as high as the estimated allowance projected by your school; if they aren’t, you may not need to borrow as much money as the amount in the award package.
  • To get an idea of your college expenses, use the Budget Calculator† on the government web site.
  • To get an idea of your monthly loan payments after you graduate, see the Repayment Calculator† on the government web site. 
  • You have the right to decline the loan or to request a smaller loan than the amount given in the award letter. 
  • Remember that loan money must be paid back with interest.  You should only borrow as a last resort.


When you are satisfied with the awards package, you will need to

  • Accept the award package on Banner
  • Take a Loan Test at the Financial Aid Office.
  • You must undergo Entrance Counseling† online to clarify your responsibilities regarding the loan. 

If you are a first-time borrower of a student loan:

  • You must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN)†.  After you file your MPN, you will receive a disclosure statement, noting the amount of the loan, fees for loan origination, and the expected disbursement dates and amounts.  Additional loans can be made with this one MPN for a period of ten years. 




  • Generally, your loan will cover costs for one year, and the school will make two disbursements, one at the beginning of the year and the other half-way through the year.  You will be notified in writing of each disbursement. 
  • Usually, the school will disburse the loan money by crediting it to your school account to pay for tuition and fees. 
  • If there is money remaining, the school will pay the money directly to you. 
  • If the loan disbursement is more than you need, the school will tell you how to cancel all or part of the disbursement. 
  • If you drop to less than half-time enrollment or completely withdraw from college, your loan money will be returned to the federal government.
  • Be sure to carefully keep all correspondence regarding your loan.


Student loans are to be used only for “education expenses” which include tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment, living expenses, cost of care for a dependent child, transportation, and the cost to rent or buy a computer.


You are responsible for keeping the Direct Loan Servicing Center† and the Financial Aid Office up-to-date on any changes in your status, such as:

  • You changed your name and/or address
  • You did not enroll at least half-time for the loan period certified by the school
  • You did not enroll at the school which certified your loan
  • You stopped attending or dropped below half-time enrollment
  • You transferred from one school to another
  • You changed your enrollment (which can have a negative impact on the amount of your loan and could cause a reduction in disbursements)
  • You graduated

At the time you graduate, withdraw, or drop below half-time enrollment, you will begin the six-month grace period for your subsidized and/or unsubsidized loans.  Immediately after the grace period ends, you must begin to repay your loan.


You can choose whether to make interest payments while you are in school or to defer these payments by adding them to the rest of the loan to be repaid later.  You can determine how much more it will cost to defer interest payments with the loan calculator†.

Accessing NSLDS (National Student Loan Data System)

  • Go to www.nslds.ed.gov/ (or Google NSLDS)
  • Click on financial aid review
  • Accept privacy information after reading
  • Accept encryption information after reading
  • Complete sign in page (you will need your Federal pin #) and submit
  • Read pin information at bottom of page if you are having a problem with your pin
  • Once you are at loan history, you can see your loan summary. Click on ED Servicer to get customer service information 




Before you leave school or drop below half-time, you must complete an online exit Interview†. 

Whether you are graduating, withdrawing, or dropping below half-time enrollment, you will begin a six-month grace period, after which your repayment period will begin.  Be sure to notify the Financial Aid Office and as well as the Direct Loan Service Center when you are no longer enrolled. 

NOTE:  You must begin repayment at the end of the grace period.  However if your loan repayment has already been deferred and you have used up one grace period, there will be no additional grace period and repayment must begin as soon as your leave school.  If you do not begin making payments when required, there is a possibility you will lose repayment incentives you have received or even go into default.


Your grace period begins the day after you graduate, withdraw, or drop below half-time enrollment.  If you re-enroll in school at least half-time before the end of your grace period, you will receive the full 6-month grace period when you graduate or withdraw from school.  During the grace period, you are not required to make loan repayments.


If you are called up for military service for more than 30 days, notify the Direct Loan Service Center† of your status, so loan accommodations can be made.


You will have a choice among several repayment plans:

  • Standard ten-year repayment 
  • Repayment extended to 25 years for those with over $30,000 worth of student loans
  • Graduated repayment with payments increasing over the years
  • Repayment based on income

You are free to change your plan at any time during the loan process.


Even if you have taken out student loans at other colleges, they can all be consolidated, along with your current loan, into one loan with one monthly payment.  Consolidation will usually extend the loan-repayment period, but note that such an extension results in additional interest costs.  For additional information on loan consolidation, see the consolidation web site†, or call 1-800-557-7392.



The length of the repayment period varies with the plans.  If you don’t select any particular repayment plan, you will automatically be put in the standard plan with fixed monthly payments for up to 10 years.  This plan saves you the most money over time because it doesn’t have interest added during an extended repayment period.  Another plan starts with low repayment amounts and slowly increases the amount over time.  No matter what plan you are in, you can change your plan at any time.  Click on ‘Your Account’ at https://studentloans.gov†.


Instead of mailing in a check every month, carefully timed to meet the due date, you can opt for an electronic debit account in which your bank automatically make your monthly payments directly out of your checking or savings account.  Your first repayment bill will explain how to sign up for this option.  A big advantage of making automatic repayments is that there will be a reduction in your interest rate of 0.25% during any period in which your payments are made electronically.


If you have trouble making your loan payments, contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center.  You may be able to arrange for deferment or forbearance on your account.

‘Deferment’ can postpone loan repayment for a given time period if the student meets the following qualifications:  Student is enrolled at least half-time in college, or student is unemployed and/or is eligible for ‘economic hardship’, or student is in military service.  In the case of a Subsidized Loan, interest does not accrue during deferment.

‘Forbearance’ is for those who do not qualify for deferment, yet are temporarily unable to make loan repayments.  Arrangements can be made with the Direct Loan Service Center to extend the time to make repayments, or stop making payments, or temporarily make smaller payments.

Deferment and forbearance are two kinds of arrangements you can make with the Direct Loan Service Center.  Unless you make such an arrangement, you risk going into ‘default’—which has serious consequences.  (Students who are already in default are not eligible for deferment or forbearance.)

To apply for deferment or forbearance†, Click on Contact Us, then Manage Your Account, then Deferment Request or Forbearance Request.

Your loan becomes ‘delinquent’ when your payment is not received by the due date.  The Service Center will send you a reminder if your payment is late, and, if your payment is still not received, warning notices will be sent to you.

NOTE: If you are delinquent, contact the Direct Loan Service Center immediately to learn how to bring your account current.  Late fees may be added and your account reported to one or more credit bureaus—but this is better than going into default.


If you default,

  • You will be required to immediately repay the entire balance owed on your loan.
  • The government may sue you, appropriate all your federal and state tax refunds, and/or garnish your wages so your employer will be required to send the government part of your salary to pay off the loan.  If sued, you will have to pay attorney fees and court costs.
  • You may be denied a professional license.
  • In addition you will lose eligibility for federal student aid and loan deferments, and your default will be reported to credit bureaus.  


You may be able to have part or all of your loan cancelled if:

  • Your school closed down before you completed your program.
  • Your school forged your signature and falsely certified you were eligible to get the loan.
  • Your loan was falsely certified because of identity theft.
  • You withdrew from school but the school didn’t pay you the refund it owed you.

In general, however, you must repay your loan even if you don’t graduate, can’t find work in your field of study, or are dissatisfied with the education program.


  • Your loan may be cancelled if you are certified totally and permanently disabled, and in addition if you meet certain conditions.
  • Your loan may be cancelled if it is discharged by a bankruptcy court.
  • Your loan will be cancelled if you die and if the Direct Loan Service Center is given a certified copy of the death certificate.

Code Of Conduct

Students must be completely free of influence by the college as they select a lender for their private education loan. 

SUNY Orange plays no role in the students’ selection of lenders, and to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest, the college and its employees commit to the following principles as regards lenders, guarantors, or servicers of student loans: 

  • SUNY Orange will not  participate in revenue-sharing arrangements with lenders.
  • SUNY Orange does not request or accept from any lender any assistance with call center staffing or financial aid office staffing.
  • No officer, employee or agent of SUNY Orange who is employed in the financial aid office or who otherwise has responsibilities with respect to education loans, will solicit or accept any gift or other thing of value from a lender, guarantor, or servicer of education loans. You should be aware that certain items provided or contributed by lenders are not considered gifts, such as training materials, philanthropic contributions unrelated to education loans, and entrance and exit counseling services.
  • No officer, employee or agent of SUNY Orange who is employed in the financial aid office or who otherwise has responsibilities with respect to education loans, will accept from any lender or affiliate of any lender, any fee, payment, or other financial benefit (including the opportunity to purchase stock) as compensation for any type of consulting arrangement or other contract to provide services to a lender or on behalf of a lender relating to education loans.
  • SUNY Orange will not, for any first-time borrower, assign, through award packaging or other methods, the borrower's loan to a particular lender or refuse to certify, or delay certification of, any loan based on the borrower's selection of a particular lender or guaranty agency.
  • SUNY Orange will not request or accept from any lender, any offer of funds to be used for private education loans, including funds for an opportunity pool loan, to students in exchange for the campus providing concessions or promises regarding providing the lender with a specified number of loans made, insured, or guaranteed, a specified loan volume, or a preferred lender arrangement for such loans.
  • No employee of SUNY Orange who is employed in the financial aid office or who otherwise has responsibilities with respect to education loans or other student financial aid and who serves on an advisory board, commission, or group established by a lender, guarantor, or group of lenders or guarantors, will receive anything of value from the lender, guarantor, or group of lenders or guarantors for such service.





A matriculated and non-matriculated student would qualify for an alternative loan. Matriculated students must be enrolled in a degree credit bearing program and must file the FAFSA, and a non matriculated student who is enrolled in a non-degree certificate program through the Continuing Education Department does not need to file a FAFSA to qualify for an alternative loan. The Financial Aid administrator does the certification for all alternative loan requests. The certified amount may not exceed the student's cost of attendance. For more information contact the financial aid office @ 845-341-4192.

The certification application is reviewed and approved by a financial aid administrator for the eligible amount the student qualifies to receive. The identity of the student and cosigner are done through the issuing agency not through the College. If the student is a non-matriculated student, the financial aid administrator checks with Continuing Education to see if the student is enrolled in a certificate program through CE and/or with the Bursar's Office or by reviewing the registration screen in Banner.


Parent Plus Loans


The borrower of a Parent Plus loan can be a biological or adoptive parent of a dependent student, or a step-parent if the parent has remarried.  (A dependent student is one who is under 24 years of age, has no dependents, and is unmarried.  Exceptions will be made for veterans, wards of the court, or other special cases.)


The lender is the US Government's Direct Loan program†.  The interest rate is somewhat lower than it was under the earlier program, known as the "FFEL program".

Prior to the 2010-2011 school year, banks and other financial institutions were the lenders of Parent Plus loans under the FFEL program.  Parents who already have Parent Plus loans under the FFEL program cannot transfer those loans into the government's Direct Loan program, but any new loans they make for dependent students will now be made in the Direct Loan program.)


  • Parent and student must be US citizens or eligible non-citizens
  • Parent and student must not be in default on any federal education loans
    or owe an overpayment on a federal education grant
  • Parent must have a favorable credit history,
    or must be able to explain circumstances that created their credit problems,
    or must have a credit-worthy cosigner who will pay off the loan, if necessary

NOTE: The cosigner cannot be the student who will be assisted by the loan


The maximum amount of a Parent PLUS loan is 'the cost of attendance' minus any other financial aid received (such as Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loans).  The 'cost of attendance' is the total amount of tuition and fees paid directly to the college, books and supplies, transportation, and personal expenses--including the cost of a computer.  The Financial Aid Office will determine the actual amount that can be borrowed, based on 'the cost of attendance'.


The interest rate for Parent PLUS loans is fixed at 6.41%.  In addition, there is also a loan origination and default fee of 4% of the amount of the loan, deducted proportionally each time a disbursement is made. Interest will begin to accrue as soon as the first disbursement is made.


First, apply for a Parent Plus loan with the lender of your choice. You will then wait for a credit approval or denial from that lender. The lender will notify the school if you have been approved or denied your Parent Plus loan. Parent Plus loans are credit based. Those who have never before taken out a Parent Plus loan for the student will need to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for parents, (there are two tabs, be sure you go down to the bottom of the page and click on Parent to fill out the proper MPN). A MPN is a legal document in which the borrower promises to repay the loan, plus any accrued interest and fees to the US Government's Education Department.  The MPN will explain the terms and conditions of the loan.

Parents who are borrowing for more than one student will need to complete a separate MPN for each student (unless they already have an MPN for the second student). 

To complete the MPN on-line, parents will need the Personal Identification Number (PIN)  assigned to them by the Education Department..  If they do not have a PIN, they can request one from the official PIN web site†.  (The student's PIN cannot be used.)  Once MPNs have been submitted and accepted, each MPN will stay in effect for up to ten years for additional loan activity.


If students' parents applied for but were denied a PLUS Loan, the students are then eligible receive additional Direct Unsubsidized Loan funds themselves.


The US Department of Education sends the money directly to the school.  Generally each loan will cover a full academic year, and the school will make two disbursements, one at the beginning of each semester.    The school will credit the money against the student's costs for tuition and fees, and any excess money will be sent to the student in the form of a check. 

The parent will receive a disclosure statement specifying the loan amount, the loan fees, expected disbursement and disbursement dates, and information about the loan servicer to whom repayments will be made.  The loan servicer will issue regular updates on the status of the loan. 


Once the loan has been fully disbursed, the repayment period will begin 60 days after final disbursement, although the parent may defer repayment if the student continues to be enrolled at least half time and for an additional six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half time.  At that time, the parent begins repayment on the loan.


The Direct Parent PLUS Loan Program offers three repayment plans--standard, extended, and graduated--that are designed to meet the varying needs of borrowers.  The terms will differ, but in general, borrowers will have between 10 and 25 years to repay the loan.


After parents have begun repayment in one kind of repayment plan, they are free to switch to another, more manageable plan, by arrangement with the loan servicer.

If necessary, the parent can apply to the loan servicer for a 'deferment' to temporarily reduce or stop payments due to certain circumstances: either because they are unemployed, re-entering school, going into the military, or experiencing economic hardship.  However, interest will continue to accrue during a deferment. (While waiting for deferment approval, parents must continue making payments so they do not go into default on the loan.)

If parents do not qualify for deferment, they can request 'forbearance'--a temporary postponement or reduction in the amount of the payment, due to hardship.  However, interest continues to accrue during forbearance.


  • The funds disbursed in the Parent Plus Loan program cannot be used for any other purpose than the student's costs of education.
  • Parents should pay particular attention to the very high penalties they will have to pay if they should default on their loan.


Veterans Benefits

All certificate and degree programs are approved for members of the Selected Reserve and National Guard, G.I. Bill veterans, eligible dependents, and disabled veterans. Veterans should inquire at the Veterans Office in the Counseling and Guidance Center, located on the third floor, College Commons.

For information on benefits in the G.I. Bill, go to www.gibill.va.gov


Aid for Native Americans

The Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs gives educational grants directly to the various Native American tribes.  Students should contact their tribal office to see if federal funds are available.

Aid for Native Americans may be also be available through the New York State Education Department. The web site is www.nysed.gov †and, by sending an e-mail to acooke@mail.NYSED.gov†, students can get additional information.


Contact Us:


Middletown Office

Office of Financial Aid
Shepard Center, 3rd floor
115 South Street
Middletown NY 10940


Office Hours:
Mon, Tues: 8am-5pm
Wed: 8am-7:30pm
Thurs, Fri: 8am-5pm

Newburgh Office

Office of Financial Aid
Kaplan Hall
One Washington Ctr
Newburgh NY 12550