What is an internship?
Internships are typically one-time educational work experiences of fixed duration related to a student's major, or career goal. Internships provide students the opportunity to build upon, apply, and assess the concepts that are developed through the school's curriculum and to further their professional growth through meaningful "real-world" work experiences. A student generally works in a professional setting under the supervision and monitoring of practicing professionals. Internships can be paid or unpaid.
Why should I take advantage of an internship opportunity?
- Acquire professional work experience and skills
- Gain a competitive edge over other candidates when seeking employment
- Have the opportunity to test interests and abilities in the real world
- Make professional contacts in your respective field of study
- Develop professional portfolio materials
- Earn college credit while gaining valuable work experience
- Enhance your confidence, self-esteem and professionalism
By interning with an organization in your field of study, you'll have an opportunity to work with professionals, apply classroom knowledge to workaday problem situations, and learn first-hand about the demands and rewards of work in the particular profession. Internships also give you a chance to network with people in the industry, so that you become a recognized name and face. Sometimes internships turn into full-time jobs for students after graduation. But you shouldn't count on an internship becoming your first career position. Simply approach it as an opportunity to observe professionals at work and further develop your skills.
How do I sign up?
At SUNY Orange internships are tied to academic departments, all award credits and are a culminating experience in the student's program of study, available only to second year students. A student must seek the approval of the respective department chair before being allowed to participate in an internship. Many departments have prerequisites that must be fulfilled before a student can register for the internship, field experience, or practicum. Call us at (845) 341-4087 and we will direct you.
- The Parents' Page
- Ask A Career Counselor
- Career Portal - Online Job Bank
[Hosted by College Central Network]
- Career Development
- Most Lucrative College Degrees
- Meet the Staff