SUNY Orange - Certificate of Residence Instructions

To qualify for NY resident tuition rates a student must have maintained a legal residence in NY State for one year and in the county for six months immediately preceding the first day of the semester. All NY State residents, who do not complete the residence requirement, will be charged as a non-resident. Proof of residence must be submitted annually.

Certificate of Residence Form

County Treasurers

Change of Information Form

In accordance with New York State Education Law, Section 6301 each full-time and part-time student residing in New York State must file a Certificate of Residence. The County of Legal Residence for a New York State resident attending a community college contributes to the College a portion of the College's cost for providing services to the student. The basis for assessing counties for this money is the Certificate of Residence.

Note: A person does not acquire New York State Domicile (legal residence) simply by being physically present in New York State for a period of 12 months or for the sole purpose of attending a New York State College or University. If your principal or permanent home has not been New York State for a 12-month period immediately prior to the start date of the semester, you will be considered an out-of-state student for tuition purposes.

Certificates are valid for 12 months from the date of issue. A new Certificate must be submitted each year.

To prove residence for any county in New York State you must:

Have resided in New York State for one year AND resided in your home county for six months prior to the first day of classes.

Please follow the instructions below for your home county. Once we receive the appropriate document the non-resident tuition charge will be removed from your account. You may not receive another bill. Make payment by subtracting the non-resident tuition amount from your balance due.


Complete the Affirmation of Orange County Residence. Include this with your adjusted payment (subtract non-resident tuition amount from balance due).


A student from a New York county other than Orange is required to submit a Certificate of Residence from their county of legal residence covering 6 months prior to the first day of classes. To secure the required certificate, follow the procedures below:

Contact the Treasurer's Office or Chief Fiscal Officer of your home county to inquire about acceptable forms of proof you will need to prove your residency.

Once you have obtained a Certificate of Residence, you must submit the original to the SUNY Orange Bursar Office. This will entitle you to pay the resident tuition rate. Please note per New York State Education Law, NY state counties are only required to issue and honor certificates of residence dated no earlier than 60 days prior to the start of classes and no later than 30 days after. After the first 30 days of classes, most counties will no longer issue certificates of residence and payment for the non-resident tuition charge then becomes the student's responsibility. Late certificates will be processed by our office, but your account will only be reduced if your county accepts our billing.


Contact each county in which you resided, as a certificate of residence will be required from each of those counties. Proceed as indicated above. Students who fail to meet the full six month residence requirement will be charged the non-resident tuition.


Immigrant Aliens must have held an Alien Identification Card ("green card") for one full year and be able to establish NYS residency to be eligible for resident tuition rates. Foreign students on the following visas do not qualify for the residence rate: F(student), B(visitor), J(exchange), C, D, H2A, H3, H4 if on H2/H3, M, O, P, Q, R, TN, or TD visas.

Effective July 1998, certain undocumented aliens may be eligible for the resident tuition rate. The undocumented alien must have graduated from a NYS high school and applied for SUNY admissions within five years of receiving the NYS diploma. The undocumented alien must complete a notarized affidavit stating that the student has filed or intends to file an application to legalize his or her immigration status.

Providing the college with proof of residency is an important step in your registration process. Students who fail to present documentation will be charged non-resident tuition. Please contact the Bursar Office at (845) 341-4830 if you have any questions about the proper way to complete the requirement.