Red Flag Policy-Identity Theft Prevention
SUNY Orange is committed to preventing the theft or misappropriation of your identity.
These services can include (but are not limited to) registration, access to records, advising, counseling, financial aid and bursar transactions. Valid forms of identification include a SUNY Orange Identification Card, driver’s license, or other government-issued identification (with photo).
Please be sure to have your identification available when registering for classes. To update or obtain your SUNY Orange Identification Card, bring a copy of your schedule to the Information Desk in the Shepard Center in Middletown, or stop by Room 223 of the Tower Building in Newburgh.
Orange County Community College Policy Statement
Orange County Community College is committed to preventing fraud associated with the misuse of identifying information (identity theft) of staff students, faculty, or others who have relationships with the College to obtain educational or financial services. In compliance with the Federal Trade Commission’s Red Flags Rule (16 CFR 681.2) the college will require all individuals requesting services to provide a SUNY Orange County Community College Identification Card, driver’s license, or other government issued identification.
Red Flag Policy
The purpose of this Identity Theft Prevention Program is to prevent frauds committed by the misuse of identifying information (i.e. identity theft). The Program is designed to identify accounts maintained by Orange County Community College which may be susceptible to fraud (hereinafter “Covered Accounts”), identify possible indications of identity theft associated with those accounts (hereinafter “Red Flags”), devise methods to detect such activity, respond appropriately when such activity is detected, and provide for continued administration of the Program. The Program shall include reasonable policies and procedures to:
- Identify “covered accounts”
- Identify relevant patterns , practices, and forms of activity within those accounts that are “red flags”
- Detect “red flags”
- Respond appropriately to any “red flags” that are detected in order to prevent and mitigate identity theft
- Administer the program in a manner that ensures proper staff training, implementation, oversight, and updating
Account: A relationship established with an institution by a student, employee, or other person to obtain educational or financial services.
Covered Account: An account that permits multiple transactions or poses a reasonably foreseeable risk of being used to promote identity theft.
There are two types of covered accounts:
- Accounts that are designed to permit multiple payments or transactions (i.e. periodic crediting and debiting activity such as Student Accounts, accounts associated with lending activity (Perkins, FFELP and Plus loan programs)
- Accounts for which there is a reasonably foreseeable risk from identity theft, such as email accounts, Banner accounts, and student I.D. cards
Responsible Staff: Personnel, who regularly work with Covered Accounts and are responsible for performing the day-to-day application of the Program to a specific Covered Account by detecting and responding to Red Flags.
Red Flag: A pattern, practice, or specific activity that indicates the possible existence of identity theft.
Identity Theft: A fraud committed or attempted using the identifying information of another person without authority.
- Access Your Personal Student Account Information
- Payment Options
- Dangers of Losing Financial Aid
- Residence Instructions
- American Opportunity Credit
- Red Flag Policy-Identity Theft Prevention
- Forms and Links
- Mission Statement
- Contact Us