Welcome Student Veteran!
SUNY Orange appreciates your time in service to our nation and recognizes that balancing college life along with military, family, career, and personal responsibilities can be very challenging. We are happy to assist you in handling these challenges and getting the most out of your college education while achieving your personal, academic, and career goals.
SUNY Orange offers you:
- Two distinct campuses within Orange County
- Online and evening course offerings to accommodate your scheduling needs
Prospective Student Veterans
If you are looking to apply to the College and have questions about our program offerings and need guidance on the necessary steps for enrolling at the College, please contact:
Academic Advisor/Non-Traditional Student Recruiter
Education Benefits and Certification
The Veterans Certifying Official, Kelly Jonigan will certify your enrollment each semester with the VA and will assist you with any difficulties you might encounter in using your educational benefits. You must be accepted to the college before using any educational benefits that you may be eligible for.
- Apply for educational benefits using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) or GoArmyEd (if Active Duty)
- Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility or approval paperwork (if Active Duty) to email@example.com, or in person to Kelly Jonigan or Student Services Central. Processing time is approximately 45 days after applying for benefits. In the event of a time constraint, please contact Kelly Jonigan.
- Complete and submit the Student Information Form.
- You may submit a copy of your DD-214 for evaluation of Physical Education transfer credit.
- Request your official Joint Services transcript for evaluation of transfer credit.
For any education benefits and certification related questions, please contact:
Walk-In Hours: 10-11:30 a.m. and 1-4 p.m. Monday through Friday
SUNY Orange is fully committed to meeting the unique needs of returning veterans and strives to promote a smooth transition to college as well as academic success for student veterans. SUNY Orange's associate degree and certificate programs are approved for veterans and eligible dependents by New York State Department of Education.
At the Academic Advising Office you have access to academic advising and transfer advising services as you begin your studies and throughout your time in college.
An Academic Advisor will be assigned to assist student Veterans develop and implement their academic plans as well as support their transition to college. The point academic advisor for continuing student Veterans is:
Assistant Director, Academic Advising
SUNY Orange has mental health professionals with experience and training in working with returning veterans to assist in transitioning to civilian/ college life as well as dealing with any deployment-related counseling issues. Any student veteran who would like to make an appointment for counseling may contact the Wellness Center at 845-341-4870. The Wellness Center can also provide referrals to local community resources that are available for veterans when necessary.
vets4vets peer mentoring program
The Vets4Vets Peer Mentoring Program matches an advanced student veteran with a new or newly transferred student veteran. The purpose of the program is to help better serve the newer student veterans by getting first-hand tips and advice from another veteran who already “knows the ropes.”
The mentor can offer information about benefits that are available for veterans, connect new veterans to on-campus resources, as well as offer suggestions on study skills, time management and campus life, both academically and socially. By being acclimated to the campus early on, we hope that new veterans will feel comfortable on campus and will have a successful and rewarding experience here at SUNY Orange. We believe there is no better resource for new veterans than the experience and leadership that another veteran can offer!
- Mission & Goals
- RATE Your Advising Experience† >
- Hours/Contact Information
- Continuing Student Advising
- New Student Advising
- Advising Resources
- Student Success Workshops
- Ask an Advisor
- Personal Counseling at the Wellness Center >
- Peer Advising Program
- Transfer Advising
- Veteran's Affairs
Shepard Student Center
Student Services Central
† Advising Survey hosted by SurveyMonkey.com