Next Steps after Attending a New START and Meeting with an Advisor
After you have attended a NewStart workshop and met with an Advisor to discuss your courses, there are several additional steps to finalize your registration and get ready for the semester.
Registration Next Steps:
- Register for classes - submit your registration form to Student Services Central (SSC).
- Review your schedule carefully. Make sure you have the classes you wanted on the days, times and campus location that you discussed with the Advisor.
- Submit final official GED, high school and/or college transcripts and immunization records (if partially cleared) to SSC.
Payment and Financial Next Steps:
- Pay the $50 non-refundable tuition deposit in SSC or online in your MySUNYOrange account (Student Finances tab). This is required of all students every semester unless you are receiving Ch. 33 benefits (at 100% rate) or Ch. 31 benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Submit your Certificate of Residence to SSC within 30 days of the start of the semester. This is required every year. Students who do not complete the residence requirement will be responsible for non-resident (double) tuition.
- Pay the remainder of your tuition in SSC or online in your MySUNYOrange account (Student Finances tab).
- Tuition for Spring 2017 is due by January 4, 2017, or the day you register if after this date.
- Tuition for Summer 2017 is due by May 17, 2017, or the day you register if after this date.
- If applying for Financial Aid, be aware of these important dates:
- For Spring: December 1 - Target date to complete all verification paperwork and any additional financial aid information required by Financial Aid Office. After December 1 - Students who have not received confirmation of financial aid eligibility should sign up for a payment plan (MySUNYOrange account, Student Finances tab)
- For Summer: Please review the regulations for summer financial aid (MySUNYOrange account, Student Finances tab) to see how federal financial aid can be applied to your account. Financial Aid book vouchers are not available for summer.
- For Fall: July 1 - Target date to complete all verification paperwork and any additional financial aid information required by Financial Aid Office. After July 1 - Students who have not received confirmation of financial aid eligibility should sign up for a payment plan (MySUNYOrange account, Student Finances tab)
Textbooks, Student ID and Other Next Steps:
- Get your Student ID card and parking pass - you will need to show your schedule. Please go to the Student Information Desk on the second floor of the Shepard Student Center (Middletown) or the Security Desk in the Grand Street Lobby, first floor of kaplan Hall (Newburgh).
- Purchase your textbooks at the Bookstore. If receiving a financial aid book voucher, see the Bookstore's refund policy and note the following:
- Submit Book Voucher Application by January 25, 2017.
- Books are available for purchase at the Bookstore with voucher from January 9-27, 2017*.
- *If your financial aid has not been completed and awarded by the book voucher deadline, you will not be eligible for bookstore credit. Not all financial aid recipients receive assistance for books; have an alternate plan in place to purchase your books.
- Check your SUNY Orange email regularly for important information and updates.
- Review the New START workshop presentation as needed.
If your plans change and you anticipate not attending any or all of your classes, it is your responsibility to fill out the necessary paperwork to withdraw from your class(es). The deadlines to withdraw for a full refund of tuition and fees are listed below:
- Spring 2017: Friday, January 13 by 4:30 pm
- Summer Session I 2017: Friday, May 19 by 4:30 pm
- Summer Session II 2017: Monday, July 3 by 5:30 pm
New START Handouts & Links
Misplaced your New START folder? Below are links to each of the documents that were included:
- Walk-in Hours
- Contact Us
- New Student Advising
- Student Success Workshops
- Current and Returning Students
- Advising FAQs
- Ask an Advisor
- Transfer Advising
- Veterans and Military Services >
- Peer Advising Program
- Mission & Goals
Shepard Student Center
Student Services Central
† Advising Survey hosted by SurveyMonkey.com