About the Placement Test
Placement Test Locations
|MIDDLETOWN CAMPUS||NEWBURGH CAMPUS|
Shepard Student Center
*PLACEMENT TESTS FOR FALL 2015 ARE NOW CLOSED*.
About Placement Test
Accuplacer is a placement test administered to all new students to ensure academic success in English and mathematics, as these courses are foundational to nearly every program offered at SUNY Orange.
SUNY Orange Placement Exam Informational Video Modules
- Video Module One – A General Introduction to the Exam
- Video Module Two – Math
- Video Module Three – Reading
- Video Module Four – Writing
When Should I take the Placement Test?
- All new applicants are required to take the Placement Test prior to registering for classes unless they have been granted a WAIVER based on previous course work.
- We recommend you complete the Placement Test within two weeks of your application to the College.
New students may receive a waiver from the the English Portion of the Placement test if they have successfully completed one of the following:
- Completed Freshman English I with a grade of a C (2.0) or better
- Successfully received a 3 or better on the appropriate English AP exam
New Students may receive a waiver from the Math portion of the Placement Test if they have successfully completed one of the following:
- Completed a college-level Math with a grade of C (2.0) or better
- Successfully received a 3 or better on the appropriate Math AP exam
You can access the Placement Test Waiver Form on the Admissions Forms page.
Prepare for the Exam! Sample questions have been provided below:
- The Accuplacer Placement Test
- Accuplacer Sample Questions
- Bring Photo Identification and your student Identification Number.
- Pay $25 non-refundable Placement Test fee before taking the exam.
- Students with disabilities who require testing accommodations must contact the Office of Accessibility Services prior to registering for the Placement Test.
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to testing to allow time to pay the fee and sign in.
Please note: Students should plan on allocating up to 3 hours to take the Placement Test. Calculators are not permitted during the Placement Test.
This test is meant for our 24 Credit Hour applicants and any applicants who are a U.S. citizen and/or permanent resident, but achieved their high school/secondary diploma abroad. The Ability to Benefit Test (ATB) includes four sections: Essay, Math, Reading Comprehension, and Sentence Skills sections. All sections are untimed except for the Essay section.
You will receive your math and reading results as soon as you finish the Placement Test. Your writing results will be mailed to you after your essay is reviewed. You cannot "pass" or "fail" the placement test and your scores will not prohibit you from attending SUNY Orange.
- Admissions Home
- Academic Programs
- Apply Now
- Health Professions
- Placement Testing
- Visit SUNY Orange
- Accepted Students
- Viewbook >
- Quick Facts >
- Honors Program >
- Veterans >
- Programs for High School Students
- Related Services and Departments
- Admissions Forms