Important Information For International - Nonimmigrant Students

This school is authorized under Federal Law to enroll nonimmigrant students.

In order to be considered for admission to Orange County Community College (SUNY Orange) as an International - Nonimmigrant Student, please follow the steps below:

Application Deadlines

All Application Forms Should Be Received By The Admissions Office On Or Before The Following Dates:

  • March 1st for all Summer Sessions
  • June 1st for the Fall Semester beginning in September
  • October 1st for the Spring Semester beginning in January

Student Immigration Status (F-1)

The 1-20AB Form (application for student immigration status /F-1) CANNOT be sent to you until you are officially accepted as a matriculated (degree-seeking) student at SUNY Orange. This means that all admissions paperwork must be submitted and all requirements met (see items 1-5 below). International students must be enrolled as full-time students (12 or more credit hours) each semester in attendance.

COMPLETE AND SUBMIT the following documents and credentials.

1. Application:

Your admissions application cannot be considered until all of the items listed are received and reviewed by the Office of Admissions. You may complete the SUNY Orange Application for Admissions in the Viewbook or online. Follow the general instructions for filling out the application form. When submitting the application do not forget the $30 application fee (U.S. currency).

2. Secondary School:

You must have the equivalent of a U.S. High School Diploma to be accepted to SUNY Orange.

Send us original or officially certified copies of your high school/secondary school credentials (including grade/mark sheets, examination scores, certificates and diplomas). Original documents will be returned to you.

If the original documents are not from an English speaking Country or province, the credentials must be translated into English by either your National Consulate or a recognized official translation agency with their seal of authenticity and accuracy. Personal translations cannot be accepted.

3. University or post-secondary:

University or post-secondary credits from institutions abroad are not evaluated at SUNY Orange. Students who have completed college course work outside the United States must submit a course-by–course evaluation report prepared by World Education Services ( our preferred provider, or another member of the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (  A WES evaluation may also be required in cases where high school graduation cannot be determined from the credentials provided.

University or post-secondary credits from a U. S. institution are evaluated at SUNY Orange. An official transcript must be sent directly to SUNY Orange from the issuing institution.

*Please be aware that no more than 30 semester hours of credit may be transferred. Only courses in which students have received a grade of at least C will be considered. Courses more than ten years of age will be considered on an individual basis.

*If you are currently in the United States studying on a student visa (F-1), and wish to transfer to SUNY Orange, you must also bring the Transfer Student Form (.PDF | .txt) to your international adviser to complete and return to this Admissions Office.


Each application to SUNY Orange must present positive evidence of proficiency in the English language. If your native language is not English, you must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). One of the following minimum scores is required:

  • The Internet-Based TOEFL (IBT) - 73
  • The Computer-Based TOEFL (CBT) - 200
  • The Paper-Based TOEFL (PBT) - 533

*The score reports must be mailed directly from the testing service. More information regarding the TOEFL is usually available in American embassies and consulates, Offices of the United States Information Service (USIS), United States educational commissions and foundations abroad, and bi-national centers.

5. Download and complete the following forms in English as instructed (these forms will download off the website):

  • SUNY Educational Data Form (PDF)
  • SUNY English Proficiency Report (PDF) :
    Complete Part I of this form, and give it to an English instructor at a school, university, or bi-national center to complete part II. This person should send the form to the Office of Admissions, Orange County Community College, 115 South Street, Middletown, N. Y. 10940, U.S.A. They may also fax the report to (845) 342-8662.
  • SUNY Financial Statement (PDF):
    Complete all sections which apply (in English). This form must be notarized/certified. You must show evidence of sufficient financial support (In U.S. dollars) for one academic year. Please be aware that the same amount will be needed for the second year of study. (See Estimated College Costs form below). Remember to attach all required verification noted on the statement form.

    *It is highly recommended that you retain a notarized/certified copy of the completed SUNY Financial Statement to present to the USCIS Official at the U.S. Embassy along with your student visa application. Check with the US Embassy for information on the required SEVIS fee.

    *All tuition and fees must be paid in full at the time of registration, which is done in person. You may choose to download the SUNY Orange Estimated Costs for International Students. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR FINANCIAL AID. (You may choose to enroll in the College Payment Plan)

6. Immunization Requirements:

All full-time students must comply with New York State Public Health Law Section 2165 which requires all students born on, or after January 1, 1957 to demonstrate proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. You will receive additional information regarding the above should you be accepted to SUNY Orange.

7. Placement Assessment:

All accepted students to SUNY Orange must take a placement assessment in English (writing and reading skills) and Mathematics. Students will be required to take this assessment upon their arrival at the college and before enrolling in any courses. The computerized Assessment fee is $25 and is due the day of testing.

8. Health Professions:

If you are applying for any of the Health Profession programs (Dental Hygiene, Medical Laboratory Technology, Nursing, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiologic Technology) please be aware that seating is limited. Orange County, New York residents will be given a priority. International applications for the above programs will be considered as out of county residents. As is policy, interested applicants for the Health Professions will be accepted into Biological Science, and will apply for consideration for their intended program with a second application at a later date. Complete information regarding our health professions program is available at

9. Housing:

SUNY Orange does not have dormitories or any other approved housing. Students who choose to live in the Middletown area will have to assume the responsibility of finding their own accommodations and making rental arrangements. If you plan to look for housing in the area, we strongly recommend that you begin your search 4-6 weeks in advance of your starting semester. We are 70 miles northwest of New York City. Public transportation to and from New York City is not convenient for commuting purposes.

Special Notes Regarding International Students

International Students are subject to the non-New York State resident tuition rate. See section on Tuition, Fees, and Other Expenses for more information.

The Admissions Office must be in receipt of all requested application materials by the published deadlines listed above in order to be considered an international applicant for admission.

Students with Tourist Visas (B-1, B-2)

U.S. Immigration Law states that anyone who arrived in the United States on a Tourist Visa on or after April 12, 2002 are not permitted to enroll for a full course of study.

Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)

Starting January 30, 2003, it is mandatory by law that this institution collect and report information for the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Department. Enrolled International Students will be responsible for keeping the International Student Advisor apprised of information related to these new Immigration laws. Further information will be provided to International Students upon their arrival to the College.